About Us

Ayuda Community Center has been serving children and families in North Philadelphia for over 15 years through leadership development, job training, economic development, after school education, legal aid, health care, daycare, referral services, food assistance, and clothing distribution.

The mission statement of Ayuda Community Center is to reveal Jesus’ mercy, restoration, and justice in Hunting Park so that families and neighborhoods are transformed.
Contact Us:

4400 N. Marshall St.
Philadelphia, PA 19140

Phone: 215-329-5777
Fax: 215-329-1310

December 18, 2007

Youth Art Show a Success



On Sunday, December 16th, we celebrated the completion of our fall youth art courses. For the past 10 weeks, 9 students have been taking visual art courses here at Ayuda: Intermediate Drawing, Introduction to Oil Painting, and Introduction to Graphic Arts. At the show, each student spoke about skills they learned in the discipline they studied as well as what they learned about themselves throughout the process of taking these courses.

“I learned that when I like something I stay dedicated to finish it.”

“I’ve learned that I have a very wacky creative style that most people don’t understand.”

“I can draw with a feeling that never ends.”

“I’ve learned to incorporate my thoughts into my art work.”

“I learned that I’m not very patient.”

“I learned that I like abstract art.”

“I’ve learned that art up-close and personal really helps with my anger issues… you must be very calm to paint because you don’t always get what you expect in art.”

“Art making is important to me because it keeps me off the streets. It keeps me calm. I learned to express my own voice through visual art by making everything pop out and seem like it’s really real. I learned that I’m a beautiful person inside and out. The colors in my face are unique. I never knew that until I drew myself. I brag all the time. I look at myself as a whole other person now. I’ve learned that I’m really an artistic person. Also, I learned that I can be positive and to be on point. I’m looking forward to more art classes at Ayuda.”

Read more from the kids in the ART SHOW PROGRAM.

2 comments:

Erin said...

What a great program!

Centro Pedro Claver, Inc. said...

Glad this program is having an impact. keep up the good work.